If you are going to buy or sell a house or other type of property, Desmon Abogados offers personalized legal advice at a competitive price. Our clients’ satisfaction is our main concern. For this reason, we can confidently state that obtaining legal advice before buying or selling a property is the best way to avoid any complications during the process or after it has been completed.

Careful planning with your lawyer is the key to buying or selling property without worries and in the shortest time possible. We will always look out for your best interest and security.

A. Identification Numbers for Foreigners

Foreigners, who for economic, professional or social reasons, have a connection to Spain, must possess an identification number which is issued by the Ministry of the Interior.

This identity number will be assigned to the foreigner, and it must be present on all the documents which are issued or processed, and stamped on his or her identity card or passport.

For property owners in Spain, there is a legal obligation to have a NIE. This number should be applied for before buying the property. AtDesmonAbogados, we can make this process easier by obtaining this number in your name. You only need to sign a Power of Attorney with us, which can be done in Spain (to avoid unnecessary expenses), or in your own country.

Please keep in mind that this process can take up to four months, so if you are planning to carry out any activity which requires you to have an identification number, you should get in touch with us as soon as possible. In this way, we will be able to apply for it immediately.

The NIE is very important to obtain, since it must appear on all tax returns, and all banks require it in order to open an account in Spain.

B. Permanent Residence

If you, or one of your family members has lived legally in Spain for a period of five years, and is a citizen of a country in the European Union (or one of the countries which has an agreement with Spain), you have the possibility live here permanently.

In addition, in some cases, you and your family could have the right to permanent residency beforethe above mentioned five year periodhas concluded. At Desmon Abogados, you can be sure to receive expert advice on this issue, including help with all the necessary procedures to correctly carry out this process.

Along these lines, the law requires anyone who lives in Spain for more than 173 days a year, to become a resident, and pay taxes in Spain. This includes paying taxes on the pension you receive in Spain from your native country.